email us










  An international driver's license is accepted in Thailand as long as its valid normally 12 months AND anyy tourist should have one. A foreign license holds no weight at all and rental companies won't tell you this when hiring a bike.

If you decide to stay in Thailand you should obtain a Thai license. You need to have a current Thai license to obtain a Thai International license after holding for 1 year. 

Some Insurance companies will put in fine print in Thai that you must be the holder of a CURRENT DRIVERS LICENSE which means a THAI DRIVERS' LICENSE not an international to claim insurance if you have an accident. To obtain an International license you must take documents to the Vehicle Registration Division of the Communication Transport Agency (opposite Chatuchak Park), Poholythin Rd, Bangkok, Tel: (02) 272-3615. Application can also be made at the Vehicle Registration Office in Chiang Mai located on Chiangmai-Hangdong Rd. tel (053) 270-411 as well as other registered Centres. Allow one month for issuance & mail delivery from Bangkok.

 What you need to obtain a Thai Drivers License:

1. Certificate of Residency from Immmigration. If in Chiangmai then 2nd floor of Prmenada which will return to the airport Immigration in July 2018. Affidavit of residence executed at your Embassy or Consulate. English translation is OK.

2. Thai Driver's license which has been renewed for the second year.

3. Medical cert normally costs 100 baht from a clinic

4. 2 photos size 1 1/2" X 21/2"

5. Copy of Passport & visa page & TM

6  fee in baht. USA = 505 baht for the car as at Dec 2018



Applications must be made in person. Take originals & one set of copies. You can go via Tuktuk or Songtaew. A taxi will cost approx 250 baht but use GRAB app and from Central Dept Huay Kaew Rd to Promenada is approx 140 baht each way. It takes one week and you pick up in the afternoon and they will issue you a card to present.





1. Cert of Residency or Original Affidavit of residence executed at your Embassy or consulate. (under 1 month old) If doing 2 licenses eg. car/motorbike then you can use a copy for the 2nd license.

2. Non-immigrant visa.

3. Passport copies main page. Visa page and TM

4. Medical report from a doctor or hospital (under 1 month old & original ). About 100 baht cost at a clinic.

5. Your country driver's license to verify what license you hold (if not you take a test written multi choice & road test. If no bike or car you can rent)

6. 2 photos size 1" X 1" can obtain for 200 baht per 6 pics at Immigration

7. Fee baht 305 baht for bike and 505 baht for a car license.

The Chiangmai drivers license centre has photo copy machines, laminating machines & photo stalls etc. tests go upstairs but the Help counter will direct you. Written tests start at 1pm & a motorcycle hiring fee is 10 baht. The tests are easy but the written is somewhat ambiguous. You must get over 45 out of 50 questions but if you fail just go back and do it again. You also have an eyesight test and a accerator/brake test on your ability to brake in time. If you have both motorcycle & car license from your country then do both licenses using copies for the second license. The license is current for 1 year and following the year you have 365 days to renew for a 5 year license or you will have to do the licenses all over again.




What you need: Passport & immigration copies, copy from Immigration, 4 small 1"  photos which you can normally get out at the Registration Office & of course the forms & UPLIFT your drivers license when completed.
Don't forget to bring your passport! 




Basically you have to resit all the tests if after expiry of 1 year over the 5 year period. Once your paperwork is filed at the Information desk [see pic above] on the first floor then Window 27 you go to Room 1 on the left of the info desk. The classes normally start at 9am but can be around 9.30am. The Info centre will give you a number and thats your seat number in Room 1. There will be around 70 others in the room but don’t worry as it is all in Thai by the teacher so just relax; watch the videos. Once the class starts you will be lead to the room across from Room1 to take the colour eye test then the foot pedal green/red light test which if you fail you can do again.


Then it is back to Room 1 all day till 4.30pm to listen to the teacher or else watch the videos of traffic control etc. Lunchtime is 1 hour break and you can go to the toilet or buy drinks in the kiosk on the same floor during the day. She will hand out a road sign booklet in English for those who need to brush up on Thai signs to study up which is returned later in the day.Everything is nicely signed for toilets etc and a lot better than it used to be. If you stay the full day say Friday then the teacher will tell you to come back for the written tests & driving test Monday. You normally have 90 days to sit the driving test. You must do 2x written tests if your 5 year license expired. It pays to study up on some of the signs & meanings and there are tests on the internet.



Click on a Test : Qu and answers. The highlighted are the answers not the sign. Practice these tests as some Qu will be a little different from the West but all are common sense that you should know for Thai roads. The test is via a computer digitized and you receive a card to slot into your computer then press 1-4 buttons to complete each answer. You may find them repititious but they are OK and you have time to complete each written test. If you fail they allow you to complete again and most people fluster on exams so don't worry the wrong answers are on the screen when you finish so you have time to check the right and wrong answers. The Transport staff are very good and they will help you. Once again remember things may be different in Thailand but the beauty is the leeway of obtaining a license as against the west--which costs a whole lot more









Head to the test building hand papers in and wait in the air condition room before 10am.You then go to the outside wearing your helmet. Make sure its done up tight. Once the teacher tells you the route etc just follow the Thais one after another. You drive around a sqaure. Use indicators & Stop at the 2nd turn stop sign. Indicat turn left & go over small bridge then another turn left then straigh;t another turn left then through a salom of poles slowly not to hit any then stop at a white line before the plank terst. You then drive over a 10meter painted green board which is about 1 foot wide & stop at the next white line then proceed to park your bike and test is over. Park your bike around by the aircon building & MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE YOUR HELMET ON. Go back to where the teacher is to get your pass & papers. If you take your helmet off before you reach the teacher he will fail you & you may have to go roung again???




Once you do the motorcycle test which is 10am & 1pm in the afternoon take papers to the Info upstairs to get a number upstairs at the Info counter, sit and wait maybe an hour as normally many people there. Once your number is called go to Number desk digitally signed and hand your papers in pay 305 baht then head to the photo kiosks which are behind these desks.


Uplift another number sit and wait. Photo taken & your new drivers license given. You can buy a plastic cover for 10 baht for your license--just ask the girl Mee plastic mai and youre done. Cost for motorcycle license =305 baht and you get 5 years.


BANGKOK: The Driving License Sub-Division of the Motor Vehicles Registration Office, Tel: 02 279-2959 will tell you where to find the right place. Sukhumvit residents, go to Soi 99. Exit the expressway at Soi 62, turn right into Sukhumvit Road and then left (at Diethelm Building) walk down the long side street and it is on the left at the end of the street.



1. Its a current driving license if you have an accident.

2. The license has your passport number on it so is your ID card for renting cars, hotel stays etc.or admission into places where otherwise you need your passport.

3. ID for banking & checking in or out parcels and clearances.

4. Renewals are straight forward.

5. You are supposed to possess one if living in Thailand after 6 months.

6. It can save you a hell of a lot of money in the longrun !!!!!especially if your Inter isn't current & you cannot read the fine print on your Insurance policy.

7/. On passing the test, a Thai driverís license will be issued & is valid for 1 year. This may be renewed for a further 1 year. You then need to sit for a 5 year license



Residency Certificate: 2018

1a). Copy your passport main page
b) Current visa page
c) TM arrival card

2. Two pictures, passport size. Can get pics made 200baht for x6 on ground floor as well as photo copies

3. Proof of residence, like a lease agreement or letter in Thai, Eng from your condominium, or your work permit, or anything showing where you live. Bring the original in case they ask for it.

Residence Certificates can be applied for at Promenada Mall. Go to Building A, 2nd Floor, Office of the Immigration Police. There is a bus service there but use GRAB or Taxi & Bus back which eventually goes to the airport. This document is free and takes a week to process. Office hours are 9am to 11am for applications and 1pm to 4:30pm for certificate pickup, excluding weekends. You can get max 2 Cert of Residency only but you can use copies if applying for say both car/motorcycle license. The alternative is to apply for a residence certificate at your home country’s embassy or consulate within Thailand.Promenada 2nd floor below pic




If you need our help just ask us: Check out Asia Real Estate for houses, sales and rentals from condos to land & any law help you need. [ Asia Realty


[ Thai Car driving test license ]

Remember if coming to Thailand for longer stays then 1 month go to your nearest Thai Consulate in your home country. Arrival in Thailand you can obtain 30 days eg. USA. It varies between countries.



      Check your foreign currency exchange rates against the Thai Baht with Bangkok Bank.

 [ HOME ] [ Visas ] [  Work Permit Letters to Ed ]  [ More about Chiangmai Trader News ] [ Non immigrant Visas ] [ Lawyer costs & services ] [ Bangkok fees ] [ Visas ] [ Work Permits ] [ Companies ] [ Amity Treaty ] [ Foreign Company Office ] [ Limited Partnerships ] [ Tourist visas ] [ Residency Visa] [ 1 year visa ] [ Visa Extension ] [ Visa newsletters ] [ Visa Myanmar ] [ Visa Cambodia ] [ Visa Nepal ] [ Expat News ] [ USA Report Birth ] [ Thai Car driving test license ] [ Thai license ]  [ Company tax ] [ Income tax ] [ Company VAT ] [ Bank Accounts ] [ Marriage Laws ] [ Marry in Thailand ] [ Thai divorce ] [ Insurance Cover] [ Importing to Thailand ] [ Importing Cars & Vehicles to Thailand ] [ Leasing land ] [ House buying guide ] [ Security & Protection ] [ Foreign embassies ] [ Letter of Credit ] [ Terms-FAQ's ] [ Classified ads ] [ Currency Convert Table ] [ Accounting & tax ] [ NEW VISA costs ]





Check out anything about Thailand on Asia Trading Post: from Business to Visas to Companies or just General. Free help. Click on:


Best  Property realty in ChiangMai & North Thailand


Thailand & China outsourcing Products


 The world's top search engine 



Check out anything about Thailand on Asia Trading Post: from Business to shipping. Free help. Click on:


Copyright © 2001 Asia Realty Estate email:
Last modified:Dec, 20018